Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whole Grain Irish Soda Bread

I was inspired by one of my favorite food blogs, The Parsley Thief, to post my favorite Irish soda bread recipe.  I don't have a drop of Irish blood, but I love this hearty whole grain bread.  My recipe is from the March 2010 edition of Cooking Light magazine.  One or two buttered slices with a side of fresh fruit make a fast breakfast.


Whole Grain Irish Soda Bread

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup steel cut oats *
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk (or sour milk) **
1 large egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray a bread pan with cooking oil.  If you have parchment paper, line the bread pan with it and spray the parchment with cooking oil {I don't always have this on hand, but it does help prevent sticking}.  Mix all ingredients and pour into bread pan.  Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

* If you live near an Aldi, they currently have steel cut oats.  Their price is significantly less than other grocery stores, so I stocked up on these.

** I prefer buttermilk for this recipe, but I don't always have it on hand, so sour milk can be substituted.  Sour milk can be made by mixing a few teaspoons of vinegar per cup of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment